Photographing Flowers in Window Light
The light coming in a room through window provides ideal opportunity to take good photographs. I’m before you with a few tips for photographing flowers in the soft light of window. Just go through below mentioned points and get pretty images:
*Firstly we have to select the fresh and pretty flowers. Defected flowers are to be avoided.
* This is advisable to concentrate on a single or on limited flowers.
* We should place the flowers in a pot and then arrange them as per our aim.
* This time I have focused at shooting the flowers in the light coming from behind them. Shooting against light is very helpful in portraying the flowers dramatically. The another types of light have been discussed in our previous article (Photographing Flowers, January-23, 2010).
* We have to arrange the subject in such a way that light should strike it well from back and at about 30-45 degree height. This light will highlight the details of petals perfectly.
* Use of a dark background is very effective in presenting the flower beautifully. We can use a cloth or a paper sheet of any dark colour as background. But we have to manage the background in such a way that it should not hinder the light reaching to object. A small practice will help adjusting the background.
* While using a dark background, we should always give exposure according to the light falling on subject and not according to the whole scene. In such situation spot metering option of our camera is very useful. This helps us in giving proper exposure during above situation.
* We can use any camera (D SLR or Compact) as per our convenience.
* A macro lens will help us to capture the fine details. Moreover the close up mode of a camera is also useful.
* Use of a small aperture (22, 16 or 11) adds depth and sharpness to the subject. The shutter speed can be adjusted accordingly.
* A firm tripod is always recommended in order to avoid camera shake and get sharp images.
* We should compose the image in artistic way. Our composition should be simple and eye-soothing. Feel of rhythm is a vital part of an image. Understanding of good composition depends on how much we observe good images and then follow them by doing regular practice.